Saturday, February 04, 2006

Costa Rica

Two years ago, I went with my dad and my sister to a beautiful remote town in Costa Rica for a week. The beauty of it all was the undisturbed nature of the town, Montezuma, that we were staying in. Getting there involved taking a small four person plane to an airstrip on the ocean and then driving an hour on unmarked, pothole-filled roads. Only about five hundred people live in the town, and the only hotel was a set of cabanas that were a half-mile's walk down the beach. So to my dismay I saw an article in the New York Times today about how the region of Costa Rica this town was in, the Guanacaste province, is being exploited by American real estate promoters and being interrupted by multi-million dollar developments. It would be one thing if the money being made from this was benefiting the area in general, but all the names of the developers are obviously of Anglo origin.

The article can be found here.

No comments: