Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Venezuelan-Colombian oil pipeline

I stumbled upon this article when I was reading some of the recent news releases for Latin America. It's short, but interesting. A Venezuelan-Colombian oil pipeline is a hot topic because of the risk involved due to the overwhelming presence of the FARC in Colombia. However, many good things could result from this inter-state pipeline. I tried to find out if the Andean Corporation of Promotion voted on this issue, but I could not find anything on the internet. If you have any news please let me know. Also, I wonder if and how this issue was affected by the recent abduction of a Colombian citizen by Venezuelan authorities and the resulting "tiff" that arose between President Chaves of Venezuela and President Uribe of Colombia. Anyway, here is the link...http://www.alia2.net/article2737.html

1 comment:

Huck said...

I don't know that much about this issue, but it doesn't surprise me that it is a hot topic, because tentions have historically existed in Venezuelan/Colombian relations. And this is no doubt complicated by the ideologically opposite positions the Colombian President and the Venezuelan President each hold. I would imagine, though, that in the end the financial and economic benefits to be gained for both countries from running this pipeline will trump any other considerations.