Tuesday, January 24, 2006

looking for work

If anyone happens to be crazy enough to be up around 7 A.M. in the morning, I advise them to drive down Claiborne street near the winn dixie. There is a hotel there where many migrant (mostly Mexican) workers are staying and around this time in the morning you can see them waiting outside along the street hoping for jobs. While this is a common phenomenon in many American cities, as far as I know, the whole migrant day laborer thing is new to the city of new orleans. In general, I think it is interesting how Katrina has changed part of the social dynamic of the city of new orleans. I know you all have been to the boot, and you've probably noticed that the menu is now bi-lingual. It'll be interesting to see how many of these workers end up staying in the city long-term and how that will alter the political and social structure of the city.

1 comment:

Raven said...

I guess I hadn't thought that the day laborers would eventually settle down there. It makes sense as they will have a comfort level there and an income to sustain them. Eventually they will be familiar enough that they will move on to do other things in and for the city.

I think it's a good thing.