Friday, February 11, 2005

The Everymigrant's Guide to Crossing the Border Illegally

I think I had heard about this pamphlet before, but I had no idea that it was produced by the government! It contains tips and guidelines to follow in order to avoid being hurt, robbed, killed, etc. when illegally crossing the border. The article about the Everymigrant's Guide to Crossing the Border Illegally in the NY Times states that 300 people died last year trying to cross the border. I can only imagine how many more people were taken advantage of by being robbed and coerced into more illegal activities while trying to get into the U.S. I recomend the article because it has interesting insight by some illegal immigrants as to the validity of the suggestions made by the government. Some may say that this type of imformation promotes illegal immigration but in reality I think it is important to try and protect people's lives, especially those of children. Not everyone is trying to get drugs and make money when they cross the border.

No comments: