Friday, February 04, 2005

Analyzing Cuba

Today in class we learned about the nation-state level of analysis. I thought the example of the United States' economic embargo on Cuba to be quite interesting. The Miami Cubans are quite conservative as a group, and are against any aid or talks with Cuba until Fidel Castro either dies or resigns. These people believe that once Castro dies, Communism will fall and capitalism will reign in Cuba. These Miami Cubans are a substantial voting bloc, and therefore can literally make or break a politician's career.

My parents were born in Cuba, and immigrated to the United States with their respective families. I was raised very aware of the situation in Cuba, and taught that the embargo deeply affects members of my family still living in Cuba. For this reason, I believe that the embargo should be recalled, and American dollars should be sent to Cuba. I cannot imagine why these Miami Cubans, who more than likely still have family in Cuba themselves, would want the Cubans who have stayed in their country to live in such poverty. An American tourist trade would boost the Cuban economy significantly. Also, I would one day like to go back to Cuba and visit family I have not seen in years. This is impossible, due to Bush's recent restriction of travel to Cuba.

[NOTE: This post was submitted by Desiree Dominguez.]

No comments: