Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Teaching English

Since there was so much interest in the possiblity of teaching english I thought I'd pass this program information along that was sent to me by the Center for Latin American Studies at Stanford where I worked last semester. This program is based in Teixeira de Freitas, Brazil in the state of Bahia (northeast) at a small language school which serves about 200 students. You would be teaching english and possibly spanish. The city is based in a rural area a bit outside Porto Seguro (I actually think my bus stopped there on my way to Trancoso another city near Porto Seguro). The academic school year is from February until December. I believe they ask you to stay for the year. You get paid 400 dollars a month which is more then enough to live, save money, and travel. Accomodations are included! and they sponsor you for a 12 month cultural visa!!! The only real qualification is having graduated, although pluses to being a Latin American Studies major, knowledge of portuguese, or TOEFL/ESL certification. Overall this is a really excellent program for anyone who is interested in teaching english, traveling, or Brazil.

The contact for this is: suzanaveroneze@dstech.com.br (Suzana) if you are interested. There is also a former participant who you can contact to ask about the program: tom_davide@comcast.net (Tom) and he has a website of his pictures: www.tom.murac.com/brazil.htm

No comments: