Wednesday, March 15, 2006

So weird...

While reserching Honduran culture for my booth at the Latin American festival I come across the strangest phenomenon that I have ever heard of and I simply had to share it on here.
A common theme in Honduran art is the "rain of fish" (literally a depiction of it raining fish in a village). The words were highlighted as a link so I clicked on them and this is what Wikipedia has to say about the "rain of fish": "Raining animals is a relatively common meteorologic phenomenon, with occurrences reported from many countries throughout history. The animals most likely to drop from the sky in a rain fall are fish and frogs, with several types of birds coming second. Sometimes the animals survive the fall, notoriously fishes, suggesting a small time gap between the extraction and the actual drop. Several witnesses of raining frogs describe the animals as startled, though healthy, and exhibiting relatively normal behavior shortly after the event."
Has anyone else heard of this other than the common phrase "it's raining cats and dogs"??? I'm absolutely stunned.
Anyways, I know this doesn't solely have to do with Latin America because it happens all over the world (who knew?) but it apparently happens relatively commonly in Honduras because it's all over their artwork.

P.S. Everyone should come to the Latin American festival on Saturday, April 8. I have an interactive booth about Honduras and Greg and Yutaca have booths too. Come out and support the Latin American community in New Orleans!

No comments: