Thursday, March 16, 2006

Mayan Stellaes

Earlier in the blog I had noticed that someone had posted a picture of their graffitied bathroom where they had drawn a replica of the mayan stellaes that are on display throughout the seminar room in Jones and in other places around Tulane. I thought I would elaborate a little on what they are. When I was at Stanford last semester my boss had commented to me on how many Latin American academics were jealous of Tulane as the recipients of these Mayan sketches. At first I had no idea what she was talking about and then realized that they were these images we see on a regular bases.

They were donated to Tulane by Merle Green Robertson, the artist. Who donated her entire collection of nearly 2000 rubbings of Mayan stellaes. They record in rubbings the relief sculpture on temples, stone monoliths, and structures of Mayan sites in Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Belize. They provide accurate full scale images of Mayan sculpture and hieroglyphics and are even more important today now that some of the sculptures which she has recorded have now disappeared.

They are important pieces of art and history that I think a lot of us overlook as just a piece of wall art.

No comments: