Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Latin American History Month

As I was informed in another class February is National African American Heritage Month. I learned in this class that February is dedicated to African Americans because a Harvard scholar named Carter Woodsen chose it to honor the birthdays of a few prominent African American rights supporters. After doing a little bit of research I was quick to figure out that September is National Latin American History Month. After researching a little more I learned that it is in September because Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua all received their independence in this time frame all in the year 1821. In my opinion, I don't believe that American should have months dedicated to a certain race or group of people. I think that every race, religion, and group of people should be celebrated at all times. Especially the celebration of Latin Americans should be celebrated at all times because their impact on the United States is so great and constant that it should be remembered everyday.

No comments: