Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pais Vasco

This was really interesting so I thought I'd share!
In my spanish class, we recently had a discussion about a el Pais (country) Vasco which is a small section on the northern border of Spain where a group of people want Independence from Spain. They have their own language (Euskera or Vasco) and a culture very different from the majority of Spain. In fact, because of the political disagreements over becoming independent, there are even terrorist groups that attack civilians as a way to make a statement. Their differences, as in language, make them pretty distinct as they are probably descendents of people from Georgia. I was surprised that this entire people existed that I had no idea about. It just goes to show how big the world really is.

No comments: