Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Hispanic Literature

What Latin American blog site is complete without mentioning Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. Of all the latin american literature that I've read, it's definitely my favorite and a popular classic too. If you've already read it, I would advice you to take that extra step and read the spanish version of the novel. It's definitely a challenging read but it's much funnier than any translations. My AP Spanish class in high school worked on certain chapters but I hope to eventually finish the entire thing. Other authors and poets I would recommend are also Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Pablo Neruda and Federico Garcia Lorca. Neruda's poem "Oda a la Alcachofa" was funny to read and pretty creative with his personification of vegetables. If you're looking for a shorter piece of literature such as a play, I would definitely recommend Lorca's "La Casa de Bernarda Alba." A play with a more modern twist would be "La Casa en Mango Street." The play was amazing and I'm sure anyone with an interest in hispanic culture would love it too.

I hope you guys enjoy these recommendations!

No comments: