Sunday, October 04, 2009

Argentine singer exemplifies the socio-political purpose of Latin American music

I was on the CNN homepage and saw the headline that an Argentine singer had died. This popped out at me since we have been reading about the arts and culture in Latin America this week. I read the article and found it very interesting. Mercedes Sosa, known as the "voice of Latin America," exemplified what we have read about the importance and purpose of the arts in Latin America. Through her combination of contemporary music with folk song traditions, she used her lyrics to convey political messages. The plight of the poor was one of the main issues that she included in her music. I included a link to the article, and I strongly encourage everyone to take a look at it. It's very relevant to the identity of Latin America and just supports everything that we have been reading.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/04/obit.mercedes.sosa/index.html

No comments: