Wednesday, February 07, 2007

México versus Estados Unidos: Eternos Rivales

This semester I have the mixed blessing of owning a television in my dorm room, and I have been watching a variety of Mexican soap operas on Univision in an attempt to improve my Spanish. But today Univision decided to show a soccer game between the American and the Mexican soccer teams.

I just thought it was interesting the way the media tried to hype the game between the two countries. Mexico and the USA aren't rivals at all: we economically, culturally, and politically tied together through NAFTA, and although there is a lot of rhetoric behind the whole immigration issue, Mexico provides the United States with valuable labor needed by American businesses.

Secondly, who cares about United States soccer in the USA? If Mexico beat us in football or in basketball, I think Americans would be angry, but in soccer? I believe the Mexican head coach was saying something about this being a historical moment to win in America, but I am sure that it would be a history that only Mexicans would care about--sort of like those heroes who saved the Mexican flag when the American army stormed the capital. America doesn't even know about that war.

I also wonder where those who are wearing Mexican jerseys live. Surely most of them must live in the United States--are they citizens of the USA or Mexico? I bring this up because it raises interesting questions regarding national affiliation, the meaning of what it means to be American, and the ethnic composition of our country.

2 comments:

Huck said...

My main man Jon! He's back and blogging! Good to see you here, mi amigo! Stop by my office and pay a visit sometime. It'd be great to catch up and chat.

Leslie Blaszak said...

Hey Jon, just thought you might want to know that mexico lost 0-2, so I don't know if that has any relevance to your questions, but I thought I would let you know if you didn't know already. Oh and I know people in Guadalajara that were very excited about that game. Later!