Monday, October 06, 2008

The Latino Vote

We've been talking lately about the tremendous potential Latinos have in the United States to impact the upcoming presidential elections. This week Colombian singer Shakira announced her endorsement of the Democratic presidential candidate, Barack Obama. In addition to her endorsement, Shakira stated, "I'd like to invite the Latino community to go out and vote, because they can make a huge difference. This country is incredibly important to me, as it is for the rest of the world, because the U.S. economy is crucial to other world economies. And world peace depends largely on the who is driving the politics of this country." But why Obama? "I support Barack Obama because I think he's the person who can truly represent what the U.S. is to other countries. I feel in my heart that he can restore peace and confidence in the U.S.," said Shakira.

On another note, we've been discussing the racial divide between Latinos and African Americans in the United States. What statement does Shakira's endorsement make in regards to this issue?

Source: http://www.peopleenespanol.com/pespanol/en/articles/0,22490,1847610,00.html

No comments: