Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Interesting fact about Caracas, Venezuela

I thought this was neat since we just learned about Venezuela today... I have been talking to the exchange student my family had in high school tonight and told him we learned about Venezuela and about the barros around Caracas, and he told me something very ironic. According to him, the barros areas are the second most dangerous municipality in the world, in the same city where his area is the richest municipality in Latin America. The west part of the city, the barros, is very poor with a lot of corruption, informal jobs, while the east is very rich with a good life and good cars.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'd have to say he's right. I've lived in Caracas. Those barrios are highly dangerous. Ranchito filled slums with such poverty that it staggers the mind.

I've walked those hills and it's a frightening thing to do.