Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Learn Spanish the Cheap Way--in Guatemala

Hello all, I just wanted to share an experience I had in Guatemala last summer with you all, and tell anyone concerned that its the way to learn Spanish. I went to Antigua, Guatemala, to study. Antigua is a beautiful colonial and touristy town (perhaps the most visited in Central America). There are over a hundred language schools there, most which offer one-on-one instruction for multiple hours a day, room, and board, for the likes of $200 USD per week. This, for anyone who has thought about Spanish immersion, is an amazing price. This is the school I went to. This was a great school and my spanish improved immensely, after 3 weeks of 5-hours-a-day one-on-one instruction.

I didn't go through a Tulane program, which also helped minimize the costs. However, Tulane did give me a grant to go study (and then after work in a hospital in Guatemala City). I got $1000, which basically paid for half my trip including tickets. Tulane is very good about giving money. Anyone whos thinkin about traveling abroad should look into it, as long as they can convince someone that somehow what they do will be an "enriching intellectual experience." This was a Tulane college grant, and I'm not sure how funds are being re-routed post changes in the academic structure, but I'm sure funds are still available.

No comments: