Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Daniel Ortega Makes a Comeback...

I read an article in the New York Times today about Daniel Ortega’s potential re-election in Nicaragua. I am actually writing my research paper on Nicaragua’s Sandinista Revolution and though this article was interesting for a number of reasons. The article claims that in the “global struggle against communism” the United States had a face off with the Sandinista revolution, a “Marxist government” who had “allied themselves with the Soviet Union.” What I found interesting is that neither are actually true. The Sandinista regime was a member of the nonaligned movement and therefore not formally aligned with the Soviet Union and the Sandinista regime could hardly be considered a Marxist regime. I felt that this article shows the ways in which the media can use propaganda to garner domestic support for arbitrary political foreign policy.

No comments: