Friday, September 28, 2007

Romero

2 weeks ago when giving my presentation on El Salvador, I mentioned Oscar Romero, the archbishop of San Salvador in 1980 who was shot during mass resulting in the collective mourning of an entire nation and the world (minus, you know, the Salvadoran government who had him killed). And I mentioned a movie about it, that I'm sure no one remembers me saying anything about, so I'm going to bring it up again. The movie's called Romero and it stars Raul Julia (he's also in the Addams Family and Tequila Sunrise). This movie is really moving and illustrates the atrocities of the Salvadoran Civil War with whats said to be great accuracy. I would suggest everyone watch it- its an incredible movie that gets much too little attention. Its not new (it was actually released the day I was born) but don't let that stop you!

Here's the Internet Movie Database page on it:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0098219/

No comments: