Friday, April 14, 2006

Will Castro EVER die?!

One of the reasons I did my country profile report on Cuba was because I find the whole Castro-Communism story of Cuba and the title that Castro earned of being the longest-serving political leader still in office very intriguing.

I found a very interesting article on the different angles and opinions of what could happen to Cuba if Castro ever croaks. Interesting points:

1. Castro has a younger brother, Raul, who is head of the Cuban armed forces. Many Cubans expect him to take power.

2. The opposition (Christian Liberation Movement) hopes to have a peaceful transition after Castro dies. Sadly for them I don't see this happening, especially since they are a tiny group and Castro has many connections (and his brother who controls the military).

3. The US is spending "$59m to "hasten the transition" and to ensure that neither Raul Castro nor any of the other "pretenders", from Vice President Carlos Lage to Foreign Minister Perez Roque, automatically continue the current system." Funny. I can find many better ways of spending the tax-payers money, since Cuba is hardly a threat and will never really be (since we're the US. We have the biggest military and like to randomly overthrow oppressive governments and hhave also secretly helped build up oppressive governments). I say we fix post Katrina New Orleans with the 60 million(yup, no hidden biases here)!

In my humble opinion I feel that this will be one of the more fun/interesting events to watch happen in my lifetime. Until it does, I can just read the article and make my own predictions on what could happen.

No comments: