Monday, January 31, 2011

Manjar Blanco


Whenever it is anyone’s birthday or a special occasion in my family my mother makes a dulce de leche dessert. I never knew it's exact origin or where she got the recipe, but I knew it was not an old Jewish recipe (which my mom usually makes). When I googled the dessert I found out that the kind of dulce de leche my mom makes is a traditionally Columbian recipe- when I told her this she got a big kick out of this because she regularly serves in on Chanukah and Rosh Hashanah. Anyway, this is the recipe used to make this delicious dessert:

Ingredients

1/4 cup rice


10 cups whole milk

2 1/2 cups sugar

Pinch of salt


1/4 cup raisins

Directions:

1. Place the rice with some water in a bowl and set aside for 2 days. Rinse and drain the rice.

2. Place the soaked rice in a food processor or blender with 1 cup of whole milk.

3. In a medium pot, place the rice and milk mixture, the rest of milk, sugar and salt and bring to a boil.

4. Reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring often with a wooden spoon for about 3 hours or until the color changes to caramel and the mixture is thick as a pudding. Add the raisins and let it cool

5. Pour into a container and cover. Refrigerate.

No comments: