Thursday, December 06, 2007

USA 1 Chavez 0

I have been thinking about Chavez's defeat in the recent Constitucional Referendum. I can't help but think that this is just a big political game that Chavez is playing in order to prove to the international community that Venezuela respects the institutions established and that Venezuela is a democratic country. I guess the main reason is because Chavez has said that he accepts the defeat for now. It seems to me if a country went through this whole process of a constitutional referendum, it basically means that it is a one time go. Instead, Chavez is esentially rejecting the outcome of the referendum - in an ambiguous manner of course - and suggesting that another one will come in the future. Imagine if Venezuela had a Constitutional referendum every year until Chavez won? I believe he won the 2006 election, meaning at least he has another 5 years to do what he wants. If you are a man like Chavez, I am sure 5 years is a pretty long time.

It seems to me that Chavez has a lot to gain internationally by taking the defeat while essentially retaining the same degree of power. Remember how there were student protests against the referendum? Those student protests probably were a result of the inadequacy of the political parties and the whole political process in general. Since the students (and the people who thought like the students) couldnt find adequate representation in the political party system, they just decided to take to the streets.

However, after the referendum, although No won, essentially nothing has changed institutionally. Does anybody imagine a figure rising that can challenge the authority and resonance of a leader like Chavez? Can the opposition really act in a manner that can actually challenge the power of Chavez? I suppose that has yet to play out. However, I would be hesitant to say that Chavez has respected democratic institutions. I would say he has respected them because it is politically convenient for him to do so. I guess we'll see.

No comments: